Nationally acclaimed The Wolfsonian-FIU museum inaugurates the “Power of Design 2014: Complaints,” a four-day think tank that uses art, design, music and discussions to highlight community challenges and initiate collective problem-solving. The event will represent a new age in Miami’s market. The festival will bring together world-renowned change-makers, thought leaders and visionaries from multiple fields for lively discussions, presentations, performances and exhibitions in an effort to sway locals from dissatisfaction to action through empowerment. This year’s topic of “Complaints” theme is not intended as a gripe fest but rather an ideas exchange on what comes next: action, innovation, solutions. Several satellite events and initiatives will complement “Power of Design,” including a Complaints Choir, discussions on transportation, housing and much more.
Free and open to the public events:
THURSDAY MARCH 20, 6PM–9PM
Complaints! An Inalienable Right - Exhibition opening & reception, free & open to the public
- · Because life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness may just depend on complaints. Acclaimed artists and graphic designers weigh in with original posters. The exhibition is curated by design historian, author, and critic Steven Heller.
BUMMER - Installation opening & reception, free & open to the public
- · Because sometimes beauty is a really big bummer…The Wolfsonian’s astonishing collection of human documents includes items that are immediately exquisite while others at first seem rather ordinary. On occasion these artifacts, from gorgeous paintings to domestic pleasantries, are quite unsettling. Factory scenes with a dreariness that glows. An autopsy painting that pleases with its formal harmony. Frank Lloyd Wright prototype chairs that are elegant to the eye and simply torture to the sitter. And how easy to be put at easy by the coziness of totalitarian dinnerware! BUMMER, an installation drawn from The Wolfsonian’s collection and on view in the fifth floor galleries, is curated by renowned designer Todd Oldham.
Complaints Choir - Performances, free & open to the public, 7pm and 8pm
- · It’s just what it sounds like: a bunch of people standing around, singing complaints. It’s also an international movement, with seventy complaints choirs in existence (Sweden has the most). This is a joint project of FIU’s School of Music and FIU’s Honors College, which spent months collecting complaints for our listening pleasure.
SUNDAY, MARCH 23, 11AM- 4:30PM
Solutions! New Ideas and Art Made From Everyday Things You Might Otherwise Throw Away - Youth program for children six through twelve accompanied by an adult, free & open to the public, advance registration required, 11am
- · There are potential treasures hanging out in your recycling bin. Those tin cans and peanut butter jars you complain about rinsing out may just be the raw materials for works of art. Renowned designer Todd Oldham leads a hands-on workshop on creating art from recycled materials.
Other notable participants include: novelist and public radio host Kurt Andersen, political humorist Andy Borowitz, Pulitzer Prize–winning author Michael Chabon, virtual reality pioneer Jaron Lanier, designer Todd Oldham, Wired magazine powerhouse Clive Thompson and editor-in-chief of Travel + Leisure magazine, Nancy Novogrod, among other local influencers.
Full event details:
- · When: March 20-23
- · Where: Except where noted, all events will be held at The Wolfsonian–FIU located at 1001 Washington Ave.
- · Ticketing: Exhibits, along with performances on Thursday evening, March 20, and Sunday, March 23, are free to the public. Tickets to the entire slate of events for the “Power of Design” weekend are $1,000 and include exclusive dinners with attendees and special guests.
LISTEN TO THE LATEST TALKING HEADWAYS PODCAST
Find us on Facebook
Subscribe via Email
TagsBicycle Bicycle Infrastructure bicycles bike lanes Bike Miami Days Bikes bikeway biking Brickell bus Calendar Climate Change Coconut Grove complete streets Congestion Cycling Downtown Miami Downtown Miami FDOT MDT Metromover Metrorail Miami Miami-Dade County Miami-Dade Transit Miami 21 Miami Beach Miami Dade Parking Parks Pedestrian Pedestrian Activity Pedestrians Pic o' the Day Public Transit Rickenbacker Causeway Sprawl Streetcar Traffic Transit Transit Oriented Development Transportation Tri-Rail Uncategorized Urban Planning