There is a growing movement to reduce the speed on the Rickenbacker Causeway and a formal petition is set to be submitted to local leaders today. The petition reads as follows:
PETITION TO IMPROVE SAFETY ON THE RICKENBACKER CAUSEWAY
To improve safety for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians, the undersigned petitions Miami-Dade County, the
Board of County Commissioners, to implement a policy that would:
1. Enforce a Safe Speed Limit, not to exceed 35 mph, on the Rickenbacker Causeway (from the Toll Plaza to the Village of Key Biscayne), with visible police presence throughout peak hours to guarantee strict compliance with the speed limit and sobriety laws.
2. Dispatch the nearest emergency/rescue vehicles and personnel to the scene of an injury accident, regardless
of municipal / jurisdictional boundaries.
Signature: ___________________________________________ Date:_______________
Full Name: ___________________________________________ Age: _______________
City, State, Zip: _____________________________________________________________________
Telephone No.: _____________________________________________________________________
E-mail address: _____________________________________________________________________
Mail Signed Original to: Zensah Team Lifeline, 201 South Biscayne Blvd., Suite 1330, Miami, FL 33131
Fax copy to: 305 377 9937 or Email copy to: SafeSpeedLimit@Yahoo.com
The cyclists who put together this petition are asking that anyone interested please fax or email it to them TODAY and then mail the original, as well. You can also email them for a PDF version.
There are lots of methods available to local planners, engineers and politicians to improve safety along our causeways and the easiest one is to reduce speed. Another, simple measure - just narrowing the lane a foot or two, causes motorists to ease up on the gas, and would also leave room to widen the heavily used bicycle lane along each side.
Thousands of cyclists came out last Sunday to remember Christophe Lecanne and pay tribute to all cyclists killed on our roads while riding safely and legally. Momentum is growing to prevent another tragedy like this from happening again.
TransitMiami.com encourages you to get involved in our community and be proactive in sharing your ideas with policymakers.
- Time to stop playing politics on the Rickenbacker Causeway, every Sunday should be a ciclovia on the Rickenbacker.
- Transit Miami Response to the Rickenbacker Causeway Improvements
- Just another Sunday morning on the Rickenbacker Causeway
- The Rickenbacker Report
- My Thursday evening bike ride on the Rickenbacker Causeway
LISTEN TO THE LATEST TALKING HEADWAYS PODCAST
Find us on Facebook
Subscribe via Email
TagsBicycle Bicycle Infrastructure bicycles bike lanes Bike Miami Days Bikes bikeway biking Brickell bus Calendar Climate Change Coconut Grove complete streets Congestion Cycling Downtown Miami Downtown Miami FDOT MDT Metromover Metrorail Miami Miami-Dade County Miami-Dade Transit Miami 21 Miami Beach Miami Dade Parking Parks Pedestrian Pedestrian Activity Pedestrians Pic o' the Day Public Transit Rickenbacker Causeway Sprawl Streetcar Traffic Transit Transit Oriented Development Transportation Tri-Rail Uncategorized Urban Planning